Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The sacred cow is related to me

Many Sikhs and Hindus were forced to flee India during the Indo-Pakistani War in 1947; my grandmother’s family was one of the many who settle in the northeastern region of Thailand, a province known as Ubon Ratchathani. Although Bangkok is the capital of Thailand, life was easier and businesses were blooming in the Northern/Eastern Region. Her Sikh tradition and cultural ways are strong. The one type of meat which the Sikhs and the Hindus do not devour is beef. Instead, they worshipped them. She believes that the cow is sacred, that the cow is a symbol of god and human combine into one. What I mean by this is that the cow’s feces would help rice and vegetables grow, but not only that, it also gives milk to help the human species grow and develop. The cow is used to pull heavy agriculture equipments, but that was when the iphone could be compared to animals such as cows, donkeys and camels right? The cow flourishes the planet. My grandmother’s teachings grew onto her nine children, which grew onto my generation. Now that I’m more educated this lifetime, I understand fully why my grandmother do the things she does and where she learned her beliefs. Still today, my grandmother is a truly outstanding vegetarian.


My grandparents moved to Bangkok, where I was born and raised. I essentially grew up around Sikh culture which was my grandparent’s tradition and teachings with Buddhism as a second religion. I never ate beef the first ten years of my life. Then I moved to the United States, to reside with father, who migrated to the U.S. three years prior. He broke my grandmother’s tradition and was first children to have beef as a part of his diet. His teachings became my way of life and I now also eat beef (No offense to anyone who doesn’t).


Gandhi once wrote “"If someone were to ask me what the most important outward manifestation of Hinduism was, I would suggest that it was the idea of cow protection," It was 3000 years ago when the faith of the cow first evolved near the Indus River. Trace of cow worshipping was tracked back to Lord Krishna. Cow worshipping were mentioned in texts, popular names used by people such as “Govinda” meaning “one who brings satisfaction to the cows.” Having cows meant you were wealthy and prosper. Milk continues to be part of rituals in India and Nepal. Cows often roam free in cities and streets because they are exalted. As New Delhi rises in population every day, more space is being occupied by car and motorcycles. The mother cow is a threat and danger to the community by starting accidents, huge traffics and tearing up garbage near homes and roads.  City leaders are hiring cow catchers to take most of the cows to reserved care places or the city limits.


As you can see, traditions begin and end in family lines. It is up to you to choose which tradition you want your children to carry on from your generation. Old ones will end and new ones will begin. Cows worshipping has been around for 3000-5000 years and I am writing about it to tell you that it is ending in my family line, but only in my teachings, who knows what my cousins will teach their children. My father stopped eating beef because his mother was not around to influence him anymore and McDonald’s dollar menu didn’t help either. Through my experiences this lifetime with elderly teachings, I have adopted three different cultures and traditions which I absolute love; American, Sikh and Buddhist. Traditions comes and goes, grasp the one that is important to you, that has a meaning to you which may not agree with others but If you like that act because it reminds you of family, ancestry and the meaning of living then you are on the right path.


Sources :


No comments:

Post a Comment